- For the pie filling:
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 coil of boerewors
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 tin Rhodes Quality Chopped & Peeled Tomatoes with Mixed Herbs
- 1 tin Rhodes Quality Butter Beans in Tomato Sauce
- ½ cup water
- For the mash topping:
- 6 potatoes, diced
- Salt, pepper
- 50g butter
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- Heat olive oil in a pan, and then add the onion and sauté until softened.
- Remove the casing from the boerewors, then add the meat to the onions and stir, cook on high heat until browned.
- Add the garlic, grated carrots, tomatoes and beans to the pot. Use the ½ cup water to swirl out the sauce from the butter bean tin, then add to the pot and stir well to mix.
- Cover with a lid, then simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Make the mash by boiling the potatoes in water until soft. Drain away any excess water, then mash the potatoes until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, then stir in the butter.
- Place the bean and boerewors sauce into an oven proof dish, then top with the mashed potato. Run a fork along the surface of the mash, then sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 200°C oven for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the pie is bubbling.
As the food and decor editor of Woman&Home, Claire enjoys nothing more than eating great food in beautiful locations. In a perfect world, she would travel for a living and have a Lord of the Rings marathon every weekend.