- Coconut Rotis
- 500 ml (2 cups) coconut ﬂour
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) ground cumin
- 5 ml (1 tsp) ground coriander
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) melted butter
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt Ghee for frying
- 400 ml (1 tin) coconut milk
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) ghee
- 200 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large aubergine, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) yellow Thai curry paste
- 200 g courgettes, sliced
- 200 g patty pans, quartered
- 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) organic vegetable stock
- 250 ml (1 cup) fresh coriander
- Start with the rotis. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix until you have quite a ﬁrm dough. Divide the dough into 4 balls. Take 2 pieces of wax paper and place one on your kitchen counter, shiny side up. Place a ball of dough on it, then place the other piece of wax paper on top, shiny side down. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough as thin as possible, changing direction every now and then to create a roundish roti shape. Repeat with the rest of the balls of dough. Use a large enough frying pan, add 5 ml (1 tsp) ghee for each röti, and fry each röti for about 2 minutes on each side until nicely browned. Set aside.
- To make the curry, pour the coconut milk into the saucepan, bring to a boil, then simmer for 4 minutes. Add the ghee to the frying pan and get it really hot before adding the mushrooms and aubergine. Season with a little salt and pepper. If the pan is not hot enough, the aubergine and mushrooms will just absorb all the ghee. Add 45 ml (3 Tbsp) of the curry paste to the frying pan and sauté for another minute or two.
- Add the remaining 15 ml (1 Tbsp) curry paste to the coconut milk, which by now should have reduced slightly and be nice and rich. Stir, then throw in the rest of the veggies, as well as the mushrooms and aubergines, followed by the veggie stock. Simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are cooked through.
- Wash the coriander thoroughly, chop roughly and throw it in right at the end. Serve the curry with the coconut rotis.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.