When her eight-year-old son Lucca was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, food writer Vickie de Beer re-evaluated what her family was eating, and decided to put them on a low-carb diet. It had a profound stabilising effect on Lucca’s blood sugar, which inspired Vickie to compile a cookbook of low-carb recipes, including this one, which Vickie uses for basic pizza bases, sausage rolls, chicken pies and mini pizza bites. The Low Carb Solution for Diabetics (Quivertree) is available on loot.co.za
- 180g grated mozzarella
- 3tbsp cream cheese
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 150g almond flour (or ground sunflower seeds)
- ½tsp salt
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a microwave-proof bowl. Microwave on full for 2 minutes, or until the cheeses are completely melted.
- Add the egg, almond flour, and salt. Mix until well combined. If it doesn’t easily mix, you can place it back in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt the cheese again.
- Roll the dough out between two layers of baking paper to form a rectangle of about 20 x 30cm.
- The pastry will take around 10 minutes to bake in an oven set at 180°C.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.