It’s a surprising combination, which works brilliantly. The Sri Lankans love a cashew curry, and they love their native pineapples, so we’ve combined the two!
Serve this simple vegan pineapple curry up with some fluffy rice for a meal that the whole family will love.
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bashed and finely sliced
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2tsp turmeric
- 2tsp fennel seeds
- 1 x 400g can coconut milk
- 1 x 160g can coconut cream
- small handful fresh or dried curry leaves
- 1 large pineapple, skin removed, cored and cut into medium chunks
- 100g unsalted cashew nuts, soaked in cold water for 30 mins, then drained
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and cook the onion and lemongrass over a low heat for 15 mins. Add the spices with sea salt and black pepper and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for a few minutes to cook them out.
- Now add the coconut milk and cream with the curry leaves and simmer for 10 mins. Add the pineapple and cashew nuts, bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins. Serve with rice.
Top Tip for making Pineapple Curry with Cashews: You can make the base sauce and leave it in the fridge for up to 3 days before adding the curry leaves, pineapple and nuts. It will also keep overnight in the fridge fully prepared. The amount of chilli is up to you but this shouldn’t be fiery, just with a little hint of heat. If you like, you could also add some spinach right at the end.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.