Our tomato tart with caramelised red onion is an easy but delicious way to make the most of the different varieties of tomatoes in season. The sweet caramelised onions bring out the natural flavour of the tomatoes to give a delicious and crowd-pleasing tart that is the perfect dish for al fresco lunches or a late summer dinner party starter.
- 5 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2tbsp brown sugar
- 375g all-butter puff pastry
- 500g tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Cook the onions in a sauté pan with the oil until softened, about 40 mins. Add the vinegar and sugar, stir well until the sugar has dissolved and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Roll out the pastry to about ½cm thick to a rectangle and lightly score with a knife 3cm in from the edge. Spread the onions over the pastry base and top with the sliced tomatoes. Bake the tart for 25 mins or until browned and crisp at the edges. Serve immediately with a green salad.