- Sweet pastry
- 60g unsalted butter – softened
- 40g icing sugar – sieved
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g plain flour
- 1 tbsp water egg white
- Pastry cream
- 500ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod – split lengthways with the seeds scraped
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 25g corn flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar for dusting
- 600 g strawberries, quartered
- 400 g fresh cherries, halved and pitted
- In a large bowl, mix together the icing sugar and egg yolk.
- Add then butter & combine to give a smooth appearance.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture and ‘cut’ the mixture with a spatula before, rubbing together using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water, then mix and press together.
- Lightly flour your work surface and place the dough on it. Knead with the palms of your hands until it is well blended, more vigorously for the last few seconds.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over the base of a large, heavy bottomed saucepan (this will melt and coat the bottom of the pan to help prevent the milk burning).
- Bring the milk to the boil with the split vanilla pod and infuse at just below simmering point for about 5 minutes.
- Draw off the heat and remove the vanilla.
- Cream together the egg yolks and sugar and then whisk in the flour and corn flour.
- Pour approximately one-third of the hot milk onto the egg, sugar and flour mixture, and whisk until well blended.
- Pour back into the remaining milk, return to the heat and bring up to 86°C for 10 minutes, (small bubbles will begin to come through) whisking continuously. Do not boil.
- To store, transfer to a bowl or container, cover with cling film directly touching the surface (to prevent a skin from forming) and cool down on ice as soon as possible.
- Seal with cling film and refrigerate.
Rolling the pastry
- Roll out the pastry with a dusting of flour or between 2 sheets of cling film.
- Roll as thinly as you dare and ensuring the pastry will line your tart shell.
- Line you tart shell, getting the pastry into the corners.
- Trim and dock the bottom.
- Place the tart shell in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place the pastry straight into a pre-heated oven at 180°C.
- After 5 minutes, check the pastry for any shrinkage, if any draw up the sides quickly using a cloth and pinching the pastry.
- Bake for a further 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and brush the pastry shell with egg white.
- Place back in the oven for 1 minute. (This will prevent a soggy bottom when adding the filling).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Place the pastry shell on a cake stand or serving platter.
- Spoon the pastry cream carefully into the shell and level off.
- Top with a design/ pattern of strawberries and cherries.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.