A different way of serving your family roasted chicken. Add a refreshing salted cucumber salad that only takes minutes to prepare.
- 4tbsp tikka curry paste
- 4tbsp double-cream yoghurt
- 1.5-1.8kg whole chicken
- Oil, for roasting
- For the cucumber salad:
- 1 large cucumber
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tsp sugar
- ½tsp sea salt
- Handful coriander, roughly chopped
- Mix the tikka paste and yoghurt, and push under the skin on the chicken breasts. Rub a little extra paste over the legs and marinate in the fridge for 4 hours or more. When ready to cook, heat the oven to 200°C, 180°C fan. Place the chicken in a roasting tin, drizzle with oil, season and roast for 20 minutes, then turn down the oven to 190°C, 170°C fan, and cook for a further 50 minutes to 1 hour, until cooked through. If the skin is browning quickly, cover with foil.
- Meanwhile, make the salad. Using a veg peeler, peel the cucumber, then make ribbons lengthways, stopping when you come to the middle of the seeds. Toss with the onion, lemon juice, sugar and salt, and chill in the fridge. Drain off any excess water and add the coriander just before serving.
- When the chicken is cooked, leave to stand for 10 minutes, before carving and serving with the salad, pilau rice and minted yoghurt.