- 90g butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- few sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 900g potatoes, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1ltr chicken stock
- 125ml single cream
- 120g pancetta or bacon, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch of chives, chopped
- For The Croutons:
- 150g sourdough, torn into small pieces
- 6tbsp olive oil
- head of garlic, sliced through the middle
- zest of a lemon
- Melt half the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, garlic and thyme and cook over a low heat for 15 mins.
- Add the potatoes and stock, and season well. Leave to simmer for 25 mins until the potatoes are cooked. Meanwhile, fry the bacon until crisp then set aside, and make the croutons.
- To make the croutons, heat oven to 200C/Gas 6. Break up the head of garlic and toss with the bread in the oil. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 20 mins until crisp, then toss through the lemon zest.
- Add the cream and remaining butter to the soup, and blend until smooth. Divide between bowls and top with the bacon, croutons and chives to serve.
Croutons keep really well – if you don’t get through them all pop into an airtight jar and use on salads or other soups.
Passionate digital editor, social media manager and journalist. She gets excited about new trends in the digital industry and as a career-obsessed young woman, she is always ready to learn something new. To take a break from digital, she loves reading hard copy books and magazines. If she’s not working, you’ll find her in a yoga class or running a half marathon. And afterwards with a glass of champagne, of course.