- 30g butter, plus a little extra
- 1 fennel, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 roasting chicken, around 1.8kg
- 4tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6tbsp double cream
- 1 small bunch tarragon, finely chopped
- 300ml rich chicken stock
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a frying pan then add the fennel and onions, and cook for 10 mins over a medium heat.
- Stir in the fennel seeds, then put this mix in the centre of a roasting tin, sit the chicken on top and season well. Roast your chicken in the oven for 1 hr.
- Take out the chicken and set it to one side. Put the pan juices and fennel mixture into a casserole dish. Add the mustard, cream, tarragon and chicken stock, with seasoning.
- Pop the chicken in and return to the oven, uncovered, for 30 mins, then add the lemon zest and juice. Serve with roast vegetables or greens.
Serve the rest of the sauce in a jug for everyone to pour onto their plates, so the veg can soak up all of the sauce’s great flavour.