- For the salad:
- 10 small lettuce heads
- 150g toasted croutons
- 80g piece of Parmesan cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- For the dressing:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 heaped Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 fillets anchovies, in oil, drained
- 1Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2Tsp Tabasco Sauce
- 3 lemons, juiced (or 80ml lemon juice)
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 350ml blended oil (50% olive oil- 50% canola oil)
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a food processor, except the blended oil and Parmesan cheese. Blend the ingredients until they are combined and smooth, about one minute.
- Keep the food processor going and slowly add in half the oil to emulsify the dressing. Stop the machine after half the oil has been added to make sure the mixture is thickening. Continue adding in the rest of the oil until the dressing is thick.
- Add in grated Parmesan cheese and pulse to combine. Taste the dressing for seasoning; it should have a nice, sharp kick from the Tabasco Sauce. This recipe yields approximately 600ml dressing.
- Remove the core from the lettuce heads by cutting off the bottom piece. With your knife, split the head in half lengthwise and then cut across to create squares.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped lettuce and dressing and massage the dressing onto the lettuce with clean hands. This is the best way to ensure the salad is dressed evenly. Add in croutons and toss lightly.
Pile the greens and croutons into serving bowls and grate more Parmesan cheese on top. Add a crack of black pepper and enjoy!
As the food and decor editor of Woman&Home, Claire enjoys nothing more than eating great food in beautiful locations. In a perfect world, she would travel for a living and have a Lord of the Rings marathon every weekend.