- 2 large aubergines, cut into small cubes
- 150ml olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 sticks celery, cut into small dice
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 130ml white wine vinegar
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 100g pitted green olives
- 2tbsp capers
- 75g blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 200 C, gas 6. Toss the cubed aubergine in half of the olive oil. Spread onto two baking trays (don’t pile it up or it will steam) and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until just cooked and tinged brown around the edges. Drain the aubergine on kitchen paper.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onions for 15 minutes until golden. Add the celery and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, caster sugar, olives and capers, stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Add the aubergine and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Check seasoning, cool, cover, then chill for 24 hours. Sprinkle with the almonds just before serving.