This is a light and super-quick pasta recipe with tender roasted aubergines. It’s a great summer alternative to meat or creamy sauces.
- 2 aubergines, cut into large chunks
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into 6 wedges each
- 2tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 400g spaghetti
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch sugar
- Parmesan to serve
- 75g pine nuts, toasted
- Handful basil leaves, torn and grated
- Heat the oven to 220 C, gas 7. Place the aubergines and onions in a roasting tray, drizzle over the oil and season. Roast for 15 minutes, until the veg is beginning to blacken and caramelise.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Heat a frying pan with a drizzle of oil. Add the tomatoes and sugar, and cook gently until they are just beginning to soften. When the vegetables are cooked, remove from the oven and add to the tomatoes in the pan, stirring so the tomatoes coat the veg. Season.
- Drain the pasta, then place back in the pan and tip in the veg, along with a good grating of Parmesan. Toss to combine then divide between 4 plates and top with a drizzle of oil, the pine nuts, some torn basil and a little extra Parmesan. Serve immediately.