- 150g pancetta cubetti or smoked bacon lardons
- 2 onions, chopped
- 300g frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 eggs
- 600ml whole milk
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 500g ciabatta (slightly stale is best), cut into cubes
- 200g grated Gruyère
- 50g grated Parmesan
- Fry the pancetta in a pan until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon. Cook the onions in the same pan in the remaining fat. Add the spinach and cook through, then add the pancetta. Remove the mix from the pan and set aside.
- Beat together the eggs, milk and mustard in a large bowl.
- In a greased baking dish, layer a third of the bread, a third of the spinach and pancetta mix, then a third of the Gruyère, and repeat until the dish is full. Pour over the egg mixture and top with Parmesan.
- Chill for at least 4 hours, but it’s best left overnight. Heat the oven to 180C. Bake the strata for 45-55 mins or until browned.