- Cooking spray
- ½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp Mexican or Cajun spice mix
- 1½ x 400g tins mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled
- 80g reduced-fat halloumi cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Optional Extras Per Burger:
- 1 toasted seeded burger bun
- 1 tbsp low-fat guacamole
- 10g rocket leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Spray a non-stick frying pan with a little cooking spray. Add the onion and spring onions, season with salt and pepper and fry over a low heat for about 5 minutes, until softened but not coloured.
- Add the garlic, chilli and Cajun spice, then fry for 2–3 minutes. Tip into a bowl, add the beans and roughly mash.
- Leave to cool slightly, then add the egg, breadcrumbs, coriander and lime juice. Season well, then mix to combine. Gently stir in the crumbled feta.
- Wet your hands lightly, then shape the mixture into 4 large patties. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Spray a little more cooking spray in a grillproof frying pan and heat over a medium heat. Add the burgers and fry for 3–4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Top each burger with a slice of halloumi, then cook under the grill for 3–4 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and melted.
- Serve in toasted buns topped with guacamole, rocket leaves and sliced tomatoes, if desired.
How to freeze:
- Place the uncooked burgers on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Freeze until they are solid, then pack into a freezer-proof plastic container and freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can cook the burgers from frozen; preheat the oven to 200˚C/Gas mark 6 and preheat a baking sheet. Place the burgers on the hot baking sheet and spray with 1-cal cooking spray on both sides.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Preheat the grill to medium. Remove the foil, cover each burger with a slice of cheese and grill for 3–4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Passionate digital editor, social media manager and journalist. She gets excited about new trends in the digital industry and as a career-obsessed young woman, she is always ready to learn something new. To take a break from digital, she loves reading hard copy books and magazines. If she’s not working, you’ll find her in a yoga class or running a half marathon. And afterwards with a glass of champagne, of course.