Give Hillary Arries’s signature spicy ginger and orange biscuits with Rooibos custard a try – as seen on The Great South African Bake Off on BBC Lifestyle.
- For The Rooibos Ganache:
- 300ml long-life cream
- 250g dark chocolate
- 150g milk chocolate
- 50g butter
- 30ml honey
- 4 x Rooibos teabags
- Pinch rock salt
- For The Ginger Biscuits:
- 320g wholemeal flour
- 240g butter
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 30g ground ginger
- 20ml baking powder
- 10g mixed spice
- 10g ground cinnamon
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Heat cream and honey until full simmer.
- Remove from heat and steep the Rooibos teabags for 10 min.
- Remove bags then pour over the chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate by gently reheating the cream – bain-marie method.
- Stir in the butter and add salt once melted and remove from heat.
- Cover and allow to cool until needed.
- Grease and line two large baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine butter, sugar, spices and orange zest and mix until creamy.
- Stir in flour and baking powder until combined.
- Using your hands, bring together the dough and form a round ball.
- Divide the dough into 48 balls, weighing 20g each and place on baking trays.
- Using your fingers, flatten each one slightly and place baking trays in oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave on the baking tray for 2 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer the ganache into a piping bag with a small star nozzle.
- Pipe ganache onto 24 of the biscuits then top with one plain biscuit to create a sandwich making sure the underside of each biscuit is facing towards the custard.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.