- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- 1tbsp mustard seeds
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 75g natural yoghurt
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 8-12 chicken thighs (depending on size), bone in and skin on
- 4 red onions, thinly sliced
- oil, for shallow frying
- Put the seeds and chilli into a hot, dry frying pan for a few mins, then crush in a mortar and pestle.
- Mix together the yoghurt and garam masala, then add the seed mix. Rub it into the chicken. You can now leave it in the fridge, covered, to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- Shallow fry the onions in batches until crispy. You can reheat them in the oven later if you need to or do this while the chicken is in the oven.
- Heat the oven to 180°C, gas 4. Line a shallow roasting tin with oiled foil. Arrange the chicken and any marinade in a single layer. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 40 mins or until cooked through and crispy.
- Serve with the onions. We also like it with pilau rice, a yogurt dip with spring onions and mint, and a tomato salad with red onions and a little chilli.