- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2tbsp grated ginger
- 2tbsp oil
- 500g best-quality minced beef
- 10 cardamom pods, seeds only
- pinch chilli flakes
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp coriander
- 2tsp cumin
- 2tsp black pepper
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 250g cooked pilau rice
- 6tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Put the onion, garlic and ginger into the blender with 100ml water and blend to a paste. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and brown the meat all over. Reduce the heat and add the onion paste and all the spices. Season well. Keep stirring over a high heat for a few minutes then add the tomatoes. Leave on a gentle simmer for 30 minutes. Stir the cooked rice through until it’s fully heated. Add the coriander.
- Serve with wedges of fresh lime, poppadoms and a tomato, onion and chilli salad (see below).
- For the salad mix together 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped, with 1 red onion, chopped, a good pinch of chilli flakes (according to taste) and juice 1 lime. Season to taste.
Top tip: This dish can be frozen fully cooked for up to one month. Defrost in the fridge before reheating, and add the coriander just before serving.