- 100g sultanas
- 50ml rum
- 185g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 4 small very ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For The Topping:
- 175ml double cream
- 40g unsalted butter
- 200g chocolate, finely chopped
- ½ tsp edible gold glitter to dust (optional)
- In a small pan pour the rum over the sultanas and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and leave to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/Gas 3. Place flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and cinnamon in large bowl and combine well.
- In a separate bowl mix the butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one by one beating well after each addition. Then stir through the mashed bananas, sultanas & rum and the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour and pour into a 900g loaf tin. Bake for 1-1¼ hours until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan to just boiling then take off the heat. Add the finely chopped chocolate and leave for 5 minutes to melt before gently stirring into the cream. Leave to cool and thicken slightly before pouring over the cooled cake and sprinkling with edible gold glitter.
Top tip: If you are making this for kids, top with milk chocolate and scatter with dried banana rounds.