- 850ml (1½pt) fish stock
- 150ml (¼pt) whole milk
- 400g (14oz) smoked haddock
- 40g (1½oz) butter, plus a little extra, to serve
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g (10oz) risotto rice
- 150g (5oz) watercress, roughly chopped
- good squeeze of lemon juice
- 25g (1oz) Cheddar, finely grated
- Bring the stock and milk to the boil in a wide saucepan. Reduce to a gentle simmer then add the haddock, cover and poach for 3 or 4 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan on a medium heat, melt the butter then add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Now add the rice, mixing well to coat every grain.
- Add the stock mixture, a ladleful at a time, stirring continuously. Continue in this way until all the stock mixture is used and the rice is cooked but still has bite. This will take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the watercress and lemon juice, and season with pepper (you probably won't need salt). Flake over the haddock, and add a little butter and the Cheddar. Cover and leave for 2 minutes. Stir gently to combine the mixture, and serve.