- 1tsp avocado oil
- 6 thick rashers smoked streaky bacon, snipped into small pieces
- 25g butter, plus extra to finish
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped around 1 litre chicken stock
- 300g smoked haddock
- 300g risotto rice
- 3-4tbsp white wine or dry vermouth
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan and add the bacon. Fry until crisp, then set aside. Reduce the heat, add the butter and onion, and soften for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to a simmer and poach the haddock for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Keep the stock simmering.
- Add the rice to the onion mix, coat well, and cook for a minute. Turn up the heat, add the wine or vermouth, and let it bubble for a few minutes.
- Add enough stock to cover the rice, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stirring constantly, gradually add the remaining stock.
- When the rice is cooked through, add the bacon, fish, and half the Parmesan, and continue to stir for a couple more minutes. Add a knob of butter and leave to rest for a few minutes, then add the rest of the Parmesan, and the parsley.
A freelance writer and editor, with 15 years’ experience in the media industry. With a passion for health and fitness, Tammy loves nothing more than researching the latest wellness trends. And if she’s not running around after her sweet four-year old daughter, you’ll find Tammy on her bike, in the gym or exploring the great outdoors – followed by a good coffee, of course!