An easy-bake chocolate Swiss roll, with a delicious salted caramel filling that will make the whole family smile.
- For the sponge:
- 90g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1tsp vanilla essence or paste
- 75g plain flour
- 15g cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- For the filling:
- 125g light Muscovado Sugar
- 75ml double cream
- 75g butter, softened but not melted
- ½ tsp salt
- You will need: a 30x20cm Swiss roll tin
For the sponge:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6. Grease and line the Swiss roll tin.
- Place the caster sugar, eggs and vanilla essence or paste into a mixing bowl and whisk with a hand mixer until it has tripled in volume. When you lift the whisk out of the mixture it should fall in a steady stream and sit proudly on the surface of the mixture for at least 3 seconds.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder over the mix and then gently fold in with a spatula until well incorporated.
- Carefully pour into the prepared tin and level off with a spatula, before baking in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until evenly risen and the sponge springs back when gently touched.
- Remove from the oven an dust a piece of baking paper with cocoa powder, onto which invert the freshly baked sponge and allow to cool completely.
For the filling:
- While the sponge bakes make the filling:
- Place the light Muscovado sugar and cream into a saucepan and heat over a medium/high heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Allow to bubble for a minute of two, before pouring onto a large plate to cool.
- When cool, beat the butter then slowly whisk in the caramel sauce until thick and well incorporated. This should hold its shape so make sure that the caramel sauce was complete cool before adding to the butter.
- Smooth the filling over the cooled sponge, leaving just a centimetre or two at one of the shorter ends, then roll up the sponge along the length, into a tight spiral.