- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 650g lean lamb mince
- few sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1½ tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 500ml hot lamb stock
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 25g butter
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook onion, carrot and celery for 10 minutes adding the garlic for the last 2 minutes.
- Stir in lamb and cook over a high heat for 10 minutes until browned. Sprinkle over the thyme and stir through the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, cornflour mix and lamb stock. Season well and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until tender then drain and mash with the butter.
- Transfer the mince to an ovenproof baking dish and spoon over the mash. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Top tip: Why not make two and freeze one?