Have a bit of fun this Christmas with a sausage roll wreath. The whole family will enjoy cutting into this festive sausage roll! It’s perfect to share or served with salad as a starter.
- 2tsp oil
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g brown cap mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g all-butter puff pastry
- 8 free-range pork sausages, skins removed
- Free-range egg yolk, to glaze
- 1tbsp mustard seeds, lightly crushed
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the shallots until soft; set aside. Now fry of the mushrooms (you may need more oil) until cooked, stir in the garlic for a few minutes then mix with the shallots and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry to a rectangle around 90cmx20cm. Brush the edges with egg yolk then put the skinned sausages in a long line in the centre. Spoon on the mushroom mixture. Roll the pastry around the sausage then shape into a circle using a little glaze to stick the 2 ends together and put on a baking tray. Glaze and decorate with any pastry trimmings, then put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. You can freeze it at this point then bake from frozen.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Glaze the pastry again, top with the mustard seeds then bake on an oiled baking tray for 35 minutes (50 minutes if baking from frozen) or until browned. We served a rocket and tomato salad in the centre.