Try our sausage and mash pie recipe! This delicious cross between a cottage pie and sausage and mash will become a firm family favourite.
- 400g smoked bacon lardons
- 8 large sausages (try thin boerewors), cut into quarters
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- 3tbsp chilli jam (optional)
- 1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 900g mashed potato
- 3tbsp Lancashire cheese, grated
- You Will Need:
- Ovenproof dish, around 1.5 litres
- Heat a large pan until very hot, then fry the lardons for 5 minutes until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper, reserving 2tbsp of the fat in the pan. Fry the sausage chunks in batches until browned but still raw in the middle, then set aside. Remove excess fat, leaving 2tbsp in the pan again.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the onions, carrots and leeks, then fry gently for 10 minutes without colouring. When soft add the tomatoes, chicken stock, chilli jam and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, bring to a gentle simmer, then add the sausages and lardons. Simmer for 30 minutes, transfer to the ovenproof dish and spoon over the mash. Sprinkle over the grated cheese. Heat the oven to 190 C, gas 5 and bake for 30 minutes, until the mash is golden and the filling is bubbling through. Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.