- 2-bone rib of beef, around 3kg
- 2 red onions, halved
- 300ml full-bodied red wine
- 500ml good-quality beef stock
- 1tsp cornflour, mixed with 1tsp water
- Heat the oven to 220 C, 200 C fan, 425 F, gas 7. Season the beef all over, transfer to a small roasting tin with the red onions and roast on high for 20 minutes, then a further 25 minutes per 1kg (2lb 4oz) at 190 C, 170 C fan, gas 5.
- Take out of the roasting tin, cover in foil and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes. Pour the roasting juices into a saucepan, skim off the fat and add the red wine and beef stock. Simmer until you have a rich gravy, thickening with a few drops of cornflour if necessary.