- 2kg unpeeled weight pumpkin or butternut squash
- 3 red onions, cut into chunks
- 4 large tomatoes, quartered
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- Sea salt
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock
- Natural yogurt, to serve
- For The Toasted Seeds:
- 200g pumpkin seeds
- 1tbsp sea salt
- 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 large sprig rosemary, finely chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Peel and cut the pumpkin into chunks. Heat the oven to 200C. Divide the pumpkin, onions and tomatoes between 2 large roasting tins. Toss in the oil, maple syrup and a good sprinkling of sea salt. Roast for 45 mins or until the squash is slightly charred at the edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare the seeds. This will make more than you need but they make a delicious snack and will keep in a sealed container for up to 1 week. Just mix all the ingredients together then spread out on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for 20 mins then leave to cool.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large saucepan. Add the stock, bring to the boil and stir well. When it has cooled a little, blend to a purée. This makes a thick and hearty soup but just add more stock if you prefer a thinner version. Taste for seasoning. Ladle into bowls then top with a spoonful of yogurt, and some toasted seeds.