These little egg muffins are delicious with mushroom and bacon and are perfect for a picnic or snack.
- 20g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g streaky bacon, sliced
- 200g chestnut button mushrooms, sliced
- 125g fine asparagus, chopped into 3cm lengths
- 250g stale bread, cubed
- 100g mature cheddar, grated
- 5 medium eggs
- 250ml milk
- 1tbsp dijon mustard
- 1tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and add onion, bacon & mushroom and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Place the asparagus in a large pan of boiling water and simmer for 2 minutes. Refresh in cold water. Transfer to a large bowl and stir through the onion, bacon & mushroom, cubed bread and cheese.
- Lightly whisk the eggs in a jug then stir through the milk, mustard and salt. Pour over the bread mix and stir well to combine.
- Line a 12 hole muffin with muffin cases. Spoon the mixture into the cases and transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Top Tip for making Asparagus, Mushroom and Bacon Muffins: These can be made with all sorts of vegetables or cheeses so mix up what you have in the fridge.