- 3½ cups flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp mixed spice, ground
- 1½ tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1½ tsp cloves, ground
- 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange zest
- Pumpkin Puree
- 600 g pumpkin, diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 egg whites¼ cup corn syrup
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 450 g mini white marshmallows
- 1 kg icing sugar
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp water
- 100 g vegetable shortening
- Orange gel food colour
- Green gel food colour
- Brown gel food colour
- Preheat oven to 160°C and grease a 2x 7inch half bundt pans very well.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In another large bowl beat the eggs lightly and add the remainder of the ingredients.
- Mix well and add the dry to the wet and mix just till well combined
- Stir in the pumpkin puree
- Pour batter into the bundt pan and bake for 50min or until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool on a rack for 10min before turning the cakes out
- Once cakes have cooled slightly, turn them over and level the tops.
- Sprinkle pumpkin with salt, sugar and coat with oil
- Cover with foil and bake at 200C for 25 min
- Process to make a puree
- Combine to make a paste
- Brush the paste all over the cake so that the fondant sticks on the cake covering.
- Combine sugar, water and syrup in a pan and bring to a violent boil for 5-7min
- Meanwhile whip egg whites to stiff peaks then slowly add the hot sugar mixture
- Use this filling to sandwich the 2 cakes
- Add 2 tbsp. of water to marshmallows and heat in microwave until melted
- Once dissolved add the clear vanilla
- Grease the bowl of your mixer with margarine and add the melted marshmallows
- Add ½ the icing sugar and mix, add the remainder of the water and sugar
- Mix with a dough hook, add a bit more sugar if it’s too soft
- Once fondant is combined, knead with greased hands until pliable.
- Pull out 2 small fondant balls and set them aside - colour one green and one brown
- Colour the rest of the fondant with orange
- Roll out and cover your cake...
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.