- 375g macaroni pasta
- 125g butter
- 100g plain flour
- 1 litre milk
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 300g Gruyère, grated
- 150g extra mature Cheddar, grated
- 500g ready-prepared pulled pork or ham hock
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and toss in olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the flour and cook for a few minutes. Heat the milk separately, then whisk in the milk and keep cooking over a lowish heat until thickened. Stir in the mustard and all the cheese, reserving 5tbsp. Prepare the pork (usually in the microwave) and shred it.
- Heat the oven to 170C fan, gas 5. Mix the sauce into the macaroni. Add the pork. Put into gratin dishes and top with the breadcrumbs and reserved cheese. Bake for 35 minutes until piping hot, golden brown and bubbling.