- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 800 g Pink Lady Apples, with the skin, cut into cubes
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) finely grated fresh ginger
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 1 red chilli, whole or seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white sugar
- 10 ml (2 tsp) finely grated lemon rind
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed to release the seeds
- 125 ml (½ cup) water
- 200 ml Rooibos tea
- Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan. Allow to stand for 15-20 minutes for the sugar to dissolve.
- Heat over a low to medium heat and simmer for a few minutes with the lid. Stir gently, taking care not to mush up the apple cubes. Remove the lid.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the apples are cooked and saucy, but not mushy. The apple cubes should still be visible.
- Spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Store in the fridge for 4-6 weeks.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.