Pearl barley has a low Glycemic Index, which means it doesn’t cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels. It’s also rich in soluble fibre, which can help reduce high cholesterol.
This tasty risotto dish is really quick to make and will feed the whole family, so it’s a great quick week night dinner choice.
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 150g pearl barley
- Splash of white wine or vermouth
- 500ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 200g button chestnut mushrooms, halved
- Soak the dried porcini in 200ml hot water and set aside. Heat half the oil in a sauté pan and gently cook the shallots with a good pinch of salt until tender but not browned. Meanwhile, drain the mushrooms, reserving the soaking water. Stir the porcini into the shallots and cook for a few minutes. Add the pearl barley, stir then add the white wine and let it bubble for a few minutes.
- Now add the mushroom liquid and half the stock. Bring to the boil then simmer gently, stirring occasionally. As the stock reduces, add more. In the meantime, sauté off the button mushrooms in the remaining oil until cooked. Once the pearl barley is tender, stir in the button mushrooms and serve.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.