- For the macarons:
- 125g sifted ground almonds
- 150g icing sugar
- 100g castor sugar
- 100g egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1g red food powder colouring
- TWG Red Christmas tea leaves (or alternative tea of your choice)
- For the chocolate ganache:
- 150g fresh cream
- 150g dark chocolate disks
- 100g unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees.
- Sieve the ground almonds and icing sugar in a bowl, and mix together.
- Whisk egg whites till frothy, then add cream of tartar and beat for two minutes.
- While whisking, add the castor sugar in three stages, whisk till medium peaks.
- Fold all the dry ingredients into the egg white mixture. Fold till macaron mix is smooth and falls back.
- Place the mixture into a piping bag and pipe macaron mix onto a silicone mat.
- Tap tray about three times after piping.
- Sprinkle TWG Red Christmas Tea on Macarons.
- Allow to dry and rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
- For the ganache, place all the ingredients into a bowl, on top of simmering water.
- Stir until completely melted, then store in the fridge to set.
- Once set, place in piping bag. Allow to rest to room temperature.
- Pipe ganache onto the flat side of one macaroon half, then sandwich together with another half. Repeat until all the halves have been used.
- Decorate as desired and enjoy!
Recipe supplied by The Table Bay’s Pastry Chef Lee-Andra Govender.
As the food and decor editor of Woman&Home, Claire enjoys nothing more than eating great food in beautiful locations. In a perfect world, she would travel for a living and have a Lord of the Rings marathon every weekend.