This incredibly simple mix of anchovies, broccoli, chilli and pasta is perfect for an easy midweek meal.
- 1 large head broccoli, approx 500g
- 50g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 fat anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 500g pasta (Orecchiette, conchiglie or fusilli)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan plus extra to serve
- With a small sharp knife detach the broccoli florets from the stalk. Break the florets into small pieces and set aside. Cut off the very base of the stalk and discard. Peel the remaining stalk, wash and finely chop.
- Place half the butter, olive oil, anchovies, garlic, chilli and broccoli stalks in a large saucepan, cover and cook on a gently heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to the packet instructions. In a second medium sized saucepan of boiling, salted water cook the broccoli florets for 4-5 minutes until just cooked. Drain and add to the pan with the anchovies and garlic.
- Drain the pasta, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water, and add to the broccoli and anchovies. Add the remaining butter and Parmesan. Season to taste and add a little of the reserved pasta water to loosen the sauce if necessary. Toss well and divide equally between four warmed bowls. Serve with extra Parmesan on the side.