- 1kg fresh clams
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 100g bacon lardons
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200ml fino sherry
- 350g orecchiette pasta
- 40g butter
- good squeeze lemon juice
- ½tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- Cover the clams with damp kitchen towel and leave in a bowl in the fridge.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the lardons and cook gently until they start to brown and crisp. Remove from the pan; set aside on kitchen towel. Add the onion to the pan, cook for 5 minutes or until softened, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the sherry, bring to the boil, leave to bubble for a few minutes then add the clams. Cover and cook for 5 or 6 minutes, or until the clams have all opened. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the liquid from the clams into a pan. Bring to a boil for a few minutes to reduce; add the butter and some black pepper. Add the clam mix, lardons and pasta, squeeze over the lemon juice; toss in the parsley and serve.