- 1 whole free-range chicken, jointed (watch our step-by-step tutorial)
- 50ml good quality olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed, plus 5 whole garlic cloves
- 5 sage sprigs, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 65ml oil
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 300ml chicken stock
- finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 150g pitted green olives
- 100g pitted black olives
- Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl and mix in the olive oil, crushed garlic and sage. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour or ideally overnight.
- Heat 1tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan, season the chicken and fry in batches until browned all over. Leave the chicken skin-side up and add the whole garlic cloves, vinegar, stock, lemon zest and olives. You want the chicken in a single layer, and don't cover it. Bring to the boil then simmer for 1 hour.
- To serve, heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and fry some sage leaves in batches for a few seconds until crisp. Set aside on kitchen towel until ready to serve. This is delicious with new potatoes or bread.