- 360 g white sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 45 ml zest (± 8 naartjies)
- 8 cardamom pods, seeds removed, roasted and crushed
- 125 g unsalted butter, melted
- 275 g cake flour
- 5 ml fine salt
- 10 ml baking powder
- 250 ml full-cream milk
- 300 ml fresh naartjie juice
- 250 g white sugar
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 12 cardamom pods, seeds removed, roasted and crushed
- Whisk the sugar, eggs and naartjie zest until light and fluffy.
- Add the roasted crushed cardamom seeds and melted butter.
- Sift the dry ingredients and add to the mixture alternately with the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 24 cm cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes, or until cooked.
- While the cake is baking, make the syrup. Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Remove the cake from the oven, but leave it in the pan. Prick holes in the surface with a skewer. Pour the hot syrup over the cake, making sure it soaks in well. Leave to cool in the pan before carefully removing the cake.
- Dust with icing sugar, or top with butter icing, or fresh fruit, whipped cream and grated chocolate, as you prefer.
Extracted from Baking with Jackie Cameron by Jackie Cameron (Struik Lifestyle)
Photograph: © Penguin Random House / Myburgh du Plessis