If you’ve switched over to a plant-based diet, this mushroom and quinoa burger will soon become one of your favourites.
Pair this scrumptious burger with The Blacksmith Wines Limbo Red for a match made in heaven! Both are juicy, crunchy and on the lighter, fresher side. The fruity wine has hints of strawberry, raspberry and red cherry, while the bright tannins pair nicely with the little hint of spice from the chilli flakes and the touch of sweetness from the sweet potato in the burger.
Recipe provided by the South African Mushroom Farmers’ Association.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (from about ½ uncooked)
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Juice and zest of ½ lemon
- To Serve:
- 4 burger buns of choice, toasted
- Lettuce, *mayonnaise, cucumber ribbons, red onion slices, bean sprouts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Prick sweet potato all over with a fork; rub with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast directly on an oven rack until tender, 45-60 minutes. (Place a baking tray below to catch any drippings). Allow to cool. Remove and discard skin; mash flesh with a fork. Set aside.
- Roughly chop portobello mushrooms and blitz in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over low. Cook shallot and chilli flakes, until shallot is tender. Add mushrooms and cook until they release all their liquid. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in quinoa and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- Add breadcrumbs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mashed sweet potato and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Divide mixture into 4 and form into patties, pressing firmly together with your hands. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium and cook patties until golden brown and the edges are crisp.
- Build burgers with all the fixings and serve straight away.
*Use vegan mayonnaise to keep this recipe 100% vegan.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.