- 1kg lamb neck fillet, cut into chunks
- a little oil, for browning and frying
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1tbsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 70g tomato paste
- 1 litre lamb stock
- 180g dates, pitted
- 75g dried apple
- 120g dried apricots
- 250g carrots
- juice of 2 lemons
- 660g chickpeas
- 2tsp za’atar blend (available at Woolworths)
- To serve:
- 3tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 3 preserved lemons, pulp scooped out, then the peel finely sliced
- Season the lamb. Heat a little oil in a sauté pan and brown the meat all over.
- Set aside. Add a little more oil to the pan and cook the onions for 10 mins. Add the garlic, coriander and cumin, and cook for a few mins. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a few mins.
- Transfer the meat and onions to a large pan. Add the stock and dried fruits. Bring to the boil, cover then reduce to a simmer for 3 hrs.
- Add the carrots and cook for 30 mins. Stir in the lemon juice, chickpeas and za’atar blend and cook for 10 mins.
- You can freeze it at this point or it will keep in the fridge for 2 days. To serve, scatter over the coriander and preserved lemon.
This recipe can be made in advance and frozen, perfect for planning ahead when entertaining.