- olive-oil spray
- 4 small lamb shanks
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato purée
- 200ml stock or water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600g sweet potatoes, roughly chopped
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Large handful coriander, finely chopped
- Heat a large heavy-based casserole pan to medium-high, spray lightly with the olive oil, then brown the lamb – you may need to do this in batches.
- Set the lamb aside. In the same pan, sauté the onion for 3 or 4 minutes, or until lightly browned, then add the garlic, cumin, paprika and cinnamon, and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato purée, stock or water, tomatoes and lamb. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer, cover and leave to simmer gently for 2 hours 30 minutes, or until tender.
- After 2 hours, add the sweet potatoes to the pan, bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, before adding the chickpeas. When the potatoes are tender, remove from the heat, season well and stir in the coriander to serve.
A freelance writer and editor, with 15 years’ experience in the media industry. With a passion for health and fitness, Tammy loves nothing more than researching the latest wellness trends. And if she’s not running around after her sweet four-year old daughter, you’ll find Tammy on her bike, in the gym or exploring the great outdoors – followed by a good coffee, of course!