- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 360g onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 950ml reduced-sodium beef broth
- 460ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 788g roasted tomatoes, diced
- 180g medium-hot green salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 120g fresh coriander, chopped
- 120g cornmeal
- 60ml milk
- 1 egg
- 1.2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 455g lean ground beef
- 60g spicy pork bulk sausage
- 75g uncooked long-grain rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté for 3 minutes longer. Add the broth, tomatoes with juice, salsa and half of the cumin, oregano and coriander. Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Make the meatballs by combining the cornmeal and milk, and let rest until the milk is absorbed. Add the egg, salt, pepper and remaining coriander, cumin and oregano. Mix well. Add the ground beef and sausage and stir to combine thoroughly. Form 1 inch meatballs.
- Drop the meatballs into the simmering pot. Stir occasionally.
- Add the rice and allow the soup to simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot.
Top tip: If you prepare this meal ahead or keep after cooking be aware the rice will puff and the soup will thicken. Add water or additional broth to thin the soup.