Meringue StackPrint This
- 200g (6 – 7 eggs) egg whites
- 400g PnP castor sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- Almond brittle:
- 3 cups (750ml) PnP flaked almonds
- 3 cups (750ml) PnP white sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- ½ tsp (2.5ml) cream of tartar
- Salted caramel:
- 200g PnP sugar
- 82.5g PnP butter
- ½ cup (125ml) PnP cream
- Maldon salt flakes to taste
- To serve:
- 1 tub (250g) PnP Vanilla mascarpone, whipped
- 1 tub (250g) PnP Raspberries
- Edible gold dust, optional
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Preheat the oven to 110°C
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a gentle simmer
- Place the egg whites and sugar into a large bowl and place it on top of the saucepan
- Leave it there, stirring to combine, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture reaches 40°C and the sugar has dissolved into the whites
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and whip on full speed for 8 minutes or until the mixture has cooled and is firm and glossy
- Using a spoon, spoon the meringue onto the baking tray – size according to the size you require
- Bake for 1½ – 2 hours depending on the size
- Remove and allow the meringues to cool to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container
- Dry fry the flaked almonds until golden, set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, mix together the sugar, water and cream of tartar and bring to the boil – keep stirring only while the sugar still needs to dissolve and stop stirring as soon as it has dissolved to prevent crystallization.
- Allow the sugar to boil until it caramelized to a lovely dark golden colour
- Evenly spread the nuts on a lightly greased tray and pour the caramel over it to spread out evenly. Allow set.
- Heat the sugar in a heavy-based saucepan. As soon as the sugar has all dissolved, remove from the heat and whisk in the butter in parts – it is VERY hot
- Return the saucepan to the heat and add the cream immediately, still whisking vigorously. When sauce has become smooth add a good sprinkle of salt.
- Smear meringue bases with vanilla mascarpone, then top with raspberries and broken almond brittle and stack on top of one another on a plate. Repeat layers.
- Top the final layer with raspberries and brittle and drizzle with salted caramel before serving.