- 750g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- ½tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150g mozzarella, cut into 6 equal chunks
- 1tbsp oil
- burger buns, sliced tomatoes and lettuce, to serve
- You Will Need:
- A baking sheet lined with baking parchment
- Using your hands, mix the mince, onion, garlic, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and egg, and season well. Divide into 6 balls. Shape each one into a rough patty, and use your thumb to create a hole in the middle. Place a piece of mozzarella into the hole and mould the mixture around to encase it. Place the burgers on the baking sheet, and store in the fridge for 30 minutes or overnight to firm up.
- Heat the oven to 200C, gas 6. Brush the burgers lightly with oil, then brown for 1 minute on each side in a frying or griddle pan. Cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes in the oven. For the braai, braai them on both sides for a few minutes until browned, then move to medium heat and leave to cook for around 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Serve with burger buns, tomatoes and lettuce.