- 100g day-old white bread, crusts removed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2tbsp flat-leaf parsley
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium aubergine, sliced into 6mm rounds
- 300g courgettes, approx 4 small courgettes sliced into 6mm rounds
- 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 large vine tomatoes, thinly sliced
You will need a deep ovenproof baking dish approx 25.5x25.5x7.5cm.
- Place the bread, garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor and whizz until you have fine green breadcrumbs. Add 1tbsp olive oil and whizz again briefly. Transfer to a bowl. Brush the baking dish with a little of the remaining oil.
- Sprinkle a third of the breadcrumbs over the base of the dish. Cover with a layer of aubergine, then courgette, then potato and then tomato, seasoning each layer as you go. Repeat the layers, finishing with a layer of tomato.
- Heat oven to 190C, gas 5. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil, scatter the remaining breadcrumbs over the top, drizzle with the remaining oil. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and the top is nicely browned.
Top tip: If you fancy a meat-free meal, then this gratin is delicious served warm with feta cheese, crumbled over the top.