Cottage cheese adds richness, but less fat than hard cheese, to this delicious macaroni cheese recipe.
ALSO TRY: Best Healthy Mac And Cheese Recipe
- 250g macaroni
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 700ml semi-skimmed milk
- 75g grated Parmesan or mature Cheddar
- 300g cottage cheese, blended in a food processor until smooth
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- Good grating of fresh nutmeg
- 150g cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 15g fine breadcrumbs
- You Will Need:
- Medium-sized deep ovenproof dish
- Cook the macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes; drain.
- In a heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat, then add the flour and stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes to form a thick paste. Gradually whisk in the milk, a little at a time. Once combined, allow to cook for 10 minutes to form a smooth sauce, then set aside.
- Add 60g of the Parmesan, the blended cottage cheese, mustard and nutmeg to the sauce, season and mix well to combine. Add the cooked macaroni and tomatoes, mix to coat in the sauce and spoon into the dish.
- Sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan along with the breadcrumbs. Place the dish on a low shelf under a hot grill for 10 to 15 minutes or until browned.