- 250g white sugar
- 2tbsp water
- 3/4 cup double-thick cream
- 1tbsp unsalted butter
- 1tbsp sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 6 cups full-cream Ayrshire milk
- 300g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- whipping cream, to serve (optional)
- 4tbsp mini marshmallows
1. For the caramel; use a clean, large pot. Add the sugar and water and swirl the pot to mix the water with the sugar.
2. Place the pot on the stove on a high heat and bring to a fast simmer. Do not stir as this will cause the sugar to crystallise.
3. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes without stirring until the mixture is a golden colour. Remove from the heat.
4. The sugar mixture will continue to darken to a golden brown colour. Carefully add the cream a little at a time, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. The mixture will bubble.
5. Place the mixture back on the heat for a minute or two, stirring constantly until smooth.
6. Remove from the heat again and add the butter a little at a time. Stir in the salt and transfer the caramel to a bowl.
7. For the hot chocolate, pour the milk into a saucepan with the finely chopped dark chocolate and 1 cup of the salted caramel sauce.
8. Stir over a medium heat until the chocolate has melted.
9. Pour into mugs and top each with a spoon of mini marshmallows and whipped cream.
*Recipe and image supplied by Woolworths
For the salted caramel, watch over the mixture continuously while making it. If the sugar doesn’t dissolve completely in the first step when simmering, start again as the sugar has crystallised and will result in a fudge-like finish.