- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (crushed)
- 2 carrots, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-size cubes
- ½ cup red lentils
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup reduced fat coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp honey or brown sugar
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Tomato and onion salsa
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onions for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, carrot, ginger, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the potato and lentils and stir to coat with the spice mixture.
- Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, stock, garam masala, salt and sugar, bring to the boil and cover with a lid.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the curry simmers, cook the rice.
- Add the peas to the curry and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve on a bed of rice with a dollop of plain yoghurt and with a tomato and onion salsa.
Tomato and onion salsa
- Combine the tomato and onion and season, mix and enjoy served with your curry.
Source: Taryn Littleton for the Association for Dietetics in South Africa
National Nutrition Week, from 9 – 15 October, is all about pulses! Find out more on the official website: www.nutritionweek.co.za
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.