This chunky lentil and chickpea soup is a vibrant vegan dish that is full of warming spices. We recommend serving with a bread like naan or roti, but you could also serve with poppadoms to scoop up the thick stewy soup.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2tsp turmeric
- 1tbsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- Thumb sixed piece of ginger, grated
- 1.5ltr veg stock
- 150g red lentils
- 2 x400g cans chickpeas
- Lemon juice
- 3tbsp crispy onions, to serve
- Naan bread or roti, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Put the cauliflower on a baking tray, season, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 15-20 minutes until just golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan, and cook the onion for 5-10 minutes until softened and golden. Add the spices and cook until fragrant and the seeds start to pop. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 2 mins before adding the stock, lentils and chickpeas, and leave to simmer, covered, for 15-20 mins until the lentils are cooked and soup has thickened.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the soup and leave for a few mins to reduce slightly. Stir in the lemon juice then serve topped with crispy onions.
Top Tip for making Lentil and Chickpea Soup with Turmeric and Crispy Onions: You can add more stock to make this more soupy or use less to make it more like a curry.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.