“So, this is our in-house drink at Taste Kitchen, and my mom would always politely suggest that we finish it with pineapple as a garnish and for flavour. Of course, I’d ignore her. Oh, until I did try it with pineapple. MAGIC! Treat your own guests to some homemade goodness.”
- 4L water
- 150g lemongrass, chopped
- 250g ginger, chopped
- 625g sugar
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 pineapple, cubed
- Bring 1L of water to the boil in a large pot.
- Add the lemongrass, ginger and sugar, and allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Add the rest of the water, along with the lemon juice, zest and yeast. Stir well, leave to rest for 10–12 hours, then strain the ginger beer and refrigerate.
- Add pineapple just before serving.
Top Tip: It can be served cold with ice, or slightly warm in winter. Add slices of fresh ginger at the end for another dimension.