A moist light sponge cake recipe which is an absolute joy! This delicious lemon drizzle cake can easily be dressed up as a smart dessert.
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 275g caster sugar
- Zest 3 large lemons, plus lemon juice
- 275g self-raising flour, sifted, plus extra for greasing
- ½tsp baking powder, sifted
- 130ml double cream
- 65g unsalted butter, melted
- 200g icing sugar
- You Will Need:
- 2 x 450g loaf tins
- Heat the oven to 180 C, gas 4. Butter and flour the loaf tins. Whisk the eggs and sugar with a pinch of salt until foamy but not too thick. Add the lemon zest and whisk in the sifted flour and baking powder in 3 batches, stirring just enough to incorporate it. Don't overbeat as this will give you a very dense and heavy cake. Whisk in the cream and gently fold in the butter.
- Pour the mixture evenly between the 2 loaf tins. Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes, until the tops of the cakes are golden, risen and springy to the touch.
- When done, remove from the oven and leave the cakes to cool in their tins for 5 minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack.
- Make a few holes in the top of the cake with a skewer, when it comes out of the oven. Mix the juice of 1 lemon with 1 to 2 tbsp of caster sugar and pour over the still-hot cake.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com