- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 450g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 850ml chicken stock or water
- 150ml whipping cream
- chopped chives, to garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and leeks, cover and sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes until soft but without any colour. Add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, pour on the stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Liquidise the soup, return to a clean pan and add the cream. Reheat, without boiling, taste for seasoning then ladle into warmed soup bowls. Scatter over the chopped chives and serve immediately.